loading

Old Market Hall, Shrewsbury

Client: Shrewsbury and Atcham Borough Council

Restoration and conversion to cinema

Set in Shrewsbury’s historic Square, the Market Hall was built from Grinshill stone in 1596. More recently it housed the County magistrates courts until 1995 when the courts were transferred elsewhere and the building became dormant.

Restoration of this Scheduled Monument began in 2004 and included major repairs to the roof structure carried out under a temporary roof. Further works were then undertaken to convert the building into a film and digital media centre; it also houses a popular café bar.

 

RIBA Conservation Commendation 2004

 

 

Installation of new floor

JPP – Heritage QS, Shropshire

Café bar

Cinema auditorium area

JPP – Heritage QS, Shropshire

Back to Projects